Places to Grow (in South Osborne)
This Garden Club provides a space for people of all ages to come together and learn about permaculture. Participants include youth from the local elementary schools and day cares as well as adults
Locations: There are two places to grow to choose from. Sometimes we'll make a visit to the Lord Roberts Elementary School Courtyard Garden (see maps below):
- A Place to Grow (in Lord Roberts) – located behind the Lord Roberts Community Centre (725 Kylemore Ave) near the end of the Kylemore backlane and Argue St. This garden's steward is Jennefer Larsen. This garden club meets Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
- A Place to Grow (in Riverview) – located at the Riverview Garden Society - just off Churchill Drive by the river, North of Baltimore Rd. The garden steward here is Rod Kueneman. This garden club meets Monday and Wednesday evenings.
How to participate:
It's a 1 session per week commitment, the schedule is flexible. Each month you’ll sign up for:
• 4 ‘Evenings in the Garden’
• 1 ‘Weekend Water Watch’ shift
We're using SignUp.com to schedule our garden sessions.
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click on the following links to see the schedule on SignUp.com:
A Place To Grow (in Riverview)
A Place To Grow (in Lord Roberts)
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone other than the garden stewards.
- you'll get to share in the produce,
- you'll learn about permaculture and ecological urban food production
- you'll contribute to food justice in Winnipeg, and
- you'll be a part of the growing movement of community-based urban agriculture in South Osborne.
Jennefer Larsen, A Place to Grow in Lord Roberts
"I've lived in South Osborne for more than 25 years, growing up and now raising my own family here. I enjoy the neighbourhood's sense of community, programs, and spaces. I volunteer with SSOCC, LRCC and the école Riverview School Parent Advisory Committee. I believe that health, wellness and food security can be achieved through urban agriculture. I am enthusiastic to share this belief with my children and neighbours."
Rod Kueneman, A Place to Grow in Riverview
See his bio here
A Place to Grow (in Riverview):
A Place to Grow (in Lord Roberts):
The Courtyard Garden and Hydroponics Table: